Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Big news today!

Lion Heart spoon rest.

My little heart hasn't stopped beating out of my chest since this afternoon. After much thought and little to no preparation today I quit my job. I wasn't planning to but an e-mail came out which made me realize that Monica would need to fill out a transfer form if she was going to take my position and it's due tomorrow. I will still be working until June when school lets out but I let everyone (well 4 bosses but not the school) know today that I will not be coming back to the classroom after the summer break. (Of course if I totally panic and lose my nerve nothing is in paper yet. Still, saying out loud that I am starting a new path in life is the scariest thing I have ever had to do.) I am lucky enough to have supervisors who wished me a heartfelt good luck and let me know that they would hire me back if things didn't work out as planned, which I am not to naive to admit might happen. I hope not, but today I am feeling shaky and worried that I will not be able to pay the bills when the time comes. We are keeping it under wraps until I am positive but I couldn't help telling someone, and not too many people I know or work with actually read this blog so I think I'm safe. Don't tell, ok? Anyway, right now I could really use some words of encouragement so if you have some words of wisdom, make a living off your art or even if you are planning or want to too please let me know...I would love to hear from you!

7 comments:

Mel said...

Okay, here is what I just wrote to a friend of mine, who didn't know if she should go back to school or not (and now is for sure):

"The journey between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."

-Barbara De Angelis

Maybe you can get some peace out of this as well ;)

Elisa Shere said...

Congrats!!!! I worked my last day at my job Feb. 6th. I am the happiest I've been in a LONG time, which is priceless.

Good luck, keep me posted :)

www.FeltedChicken.com said...

I've been not-so-much "making a living from my art" for a while now, you'll get bored, it's tough, but since you're WAY more awesome than I am, I'm sure you'll do great!!

GOOD LUCK!!! CONGRATS!!!!

pinkkiss said...

Thanks you guys! I am feeling better today:) I think I can do it!

Anonymous said...

I quit my job and starting potting full time 3 weeks before I had a baby. The little bundle and I managed. I'm sure you will do fine. Your work is wonderful and your day job will wind up nicely just in time for the busiest months. I work less and earn more than any day job I've ever had. You can do it!

jeanette said...

Congrat Shawna!!!

I'm not gonna sugar-coat it. Its tough. Its hard.
But gosh-darn-it, I wouldn't have it any other way!

(well, I do work about 8 hrs/week at a part-time job: which ends this month, but the majority of all my bills and living expenses are paid by pots.)

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Hi Shawna - I'm just catching up on my blog reading, so am responding to an old post, but I still wanted to wish you the very best. The really nice thing is that it sounds like the door is still open if you need to/want to go back... I do my ceramic art part-time so I've still got my feet in both worlds. Am wishing you the very best and hope to hear that it's going well!