Friday, June 26, 2009

Glaze testing this weekend

Yesterday I went to Clayworks and picked up a long list of new colorants and a few new ingredients to test some new glazes this weekend. I will be remixing the glaze that ran all over my kiln shelves so wish me luck! I'll be using the old shelves just in case :) Hopefully now that I have all the right ingredients it will turn out better.

Thursday, June 25, 2009


This morning I woke up with a craving for pancakes. Too lazy to go out I thought I would make some but I didn't have any eggs. I bought eggs at the farmer's market the last time I was there and they were so good we ate them all up and I'm holding out for more farm fresh rather than the regular market eggs. I needed a recipe for bread, preferable something I could put the fresh butter and pear,cardamom and sage jam that also came from the farmer's market all over. I wound up finding a recipe for drop biscuits that took about 20 minutes from start to finish including bake time. Sold! Michael and I savored the fresh, warm biscuits slathered with fresh butter and homemade jam. I no longer crave pancakes:)
Click here for the recipe.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Playing catch-up

Clay shavings from all the new pots:)
(above) Bowls drying, hand thrown slabs formed over thrown bisque molds. (below) Rows of new rectangular dip dishes and salt and pepper pots.

Well I hope you got out to check out Pile of Craft because it rocked! It also left me pretty out of stock for most things. Not that I'm complaining (at all) but it has caused me to be locked away in the studio for the last few days. Michael and I did make it out for about an hour last night to check out our new local farmer's market and get some ice cream. We will be making it a weekly trip since there was some seriously tasty looking food there that we didn't get to eat since we had dinner before going. I did buy some tasty looking beets and a couple of grass fed, all natural pork chops to throw on the grill later. Anyway, I thought I would take a break today while some slabs are drying to give you a little peek at what I'm working on. The studio is a mess so don't look too close:) I also figured out what went wrong with that glaze a few months ago...I just looked up the original recipe in my sketchbook and when I copied it down for the studio I left out an add-in ingredient. Doh! I will be remixing and retesting later on so I'll let you know if the results are any better.