Saturday, March 6, 2010

Keping one for myself...


It's not very often that I keep a pot for myself that hasn't been somehow damaged in the process or has an ugly glaze. Most of the pots in my kitchen are pretty ugly and I'm actually a little ashamed when I pull them out for guest. There is always the "this one isn't my best work" disclaimer to go with the mug of coffee. Recently I have started a really nice collection of other potters work as I travel to shows and workshops, some of which I reach for everyday and some have special homes on a high shelf where the cat *hopefully* won't knock them over. These beauties are making my own collection look even worse! So this round of pots I'm keeping one. And not because it's ugly or glazed wrong or a little too wonky. I just like this pot and it now has a home in my kitchen.... happy birthday to me:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's a beauty, i like that idea. i have the oddest collection of rejects and unsellable pots in my kitchen, i need to start keeping a few. i keep thinking i'm gonna make complete place settings for us but never get that far ahead

pinkkiss said...

Ha! I have the same dream....a beautiful complete collection of dishes in my own kitchen. Someday...:)

Anonymous said...

It really is lovely pot and you deserve to enjoy it.
Geraldine

Unknown said...

This piece is beautiful... And I know what you mean. I think pretty soon I'm gonna have to scour through my work that's 'at home' and take a hammer to the stuff that would be disclaimer worthy.

On that thought, however, I have also started actively collecting other people's work. I'm doing a Mug of the Month project for my blog and so far it's been fun. And actually, your work is on my want list. Do you ever make mugs, like with handles?

pinkkiss said...

Hey Jesse,
I do make mugs with handles but they go pretty fast! I don't make them very often because I have yet to come up with a design I'm happy with. I have some in the studio right now waiting to be glazed and finished so I am hoping to have some up maybe next week?
I love collecting others work, it's such a great feeling to be surrounded by beautiful dishes:)